Searching for work:
While you're a student, take advantage of University of Utah's Career & Professional Development Center. CPDC offers coaching and tons of resources. Dan Moseson is the career coach for the College of Humanities.
Primary duty is to deliver an existing, semester-based writing course for visiting graduate engineering students from Pakistan. The writing training helps students to improve the quality of their theses and other written research products.
Secondary duties include support in editing final thesis documents, development and delivery of short-term writing workshops, editing of research reports and technical papers, and similar short-term assignments.
This is a part-time position starting as soon as available. Hours vary by week, but are expected to be on average 19 hours/week. For candidates with broader communication experience, additional duties and time may be possible. Apply here.
We’re looking for a Utah Forests Program fellow who is excited to help us protect the natural landscapes of Utah. You’ll spend your summer exploring the beautiful forests and deserts of the Colorado Plateau and camping under the stars, all while doing hands-on ecology and environmental advocacy. The Utah Forests Program works to protect millions of acres of public land by critically examining the way government agencies manage these lands. You’ll help us understand the serious consequences of intense livestock grazing for the native animals and plants that call these landscapes home. Through rigorous fieldwork and well-rounded mentorship, you will hone your skills in scientific research and environmental advocacy. If you want to be a voice for the Colorado Plateau’s vibrant landscapes and wildlife — this is the job for you!
In early 2018 the Utah Museum of Fine Arts and the J. Willard Marriott Library at the University of Utah together received a $500,000 Andrew W. Mellon grant to support “Landscape, Land Art, and the American West,” an effort to stimulate research, pedagogy, and engagement with the joint collections and resources of the UMFA and Marriott Library.
The Mellon grant has enabled the UMFA and Marriott Library to initiate the Fellowship in Collections Engagement (FICE) Award. This award provides funding to University of Utah faculty, staff, and students for scholarly or creative research projects which utilize primary source materials in both the UMFA’s and the Marriott Library’s collections. The Fellowship is intended to foster innovative, interdisciplinary, collections-based scholarship and creativity while highlighting the strengths of the UMFA’s and Marriott Library’s collections.
Proposals may request funding from $250 to a maximum of $8,000 for the award cycle beginning August 1, 2019, through June 30, 2020. In general, these funds may not be used for society memberships or the acquisition of hardware, though some kinds of equipment essential for project activities may be admissible. Funding will be considered for all expenses which demonstrably enable the Fellow(s) to perform essential award activities.
We currently have two open positions at Utah Humanities. If you love the humanities and want to work with a small, committed group of people, one of these positions might be the perfect fit for you or someone you know.
We are looking for:
Development DirectorThe UAC is looking for an experienced, creative, fundraising professional to join our team as our Development Director. A strong passion for avalanche safety is preferred and the desire to work for an organization that seeks to grow the Utah Avalanche Center’s programs of avalanche forecasting, awareness, and education is required. The Development Director will lead our fundraising efforts across all our categories, including individual giving, public and government grants, foundations, and special events.
- Alt-ac (Alternative Academic)resources: https://guides.lib.unc.edu/c.php?g=216166&p=1625520
- CoolWorks.com - Jobs in Great Places: https://www.coolworks.com/
- Digital Humanities postings: http://digitalhumanitiesnow.org/category/news/job/
- Ecojobs.com - Environmental Career Opportunities: http://www.ecojobs.com/index.php
- Grassroots Jobsources from Orion Magazine: http://jobs.orionmagazine.org/
- Job Scholar - Humanities PhD students: https://thejobscholar.org/
- List of job boards: https://guides.lib.unc.edu/c.php?g=216166&p=1511611
- Nonprofitjobs.org: https://nonprofitjobs.org/
- Society for Conservation Biology: https://careers.conbio.org/
- The Idealist (non-profits): https://www.idealist.org/en/?type=JOB
- USAJOBS.gov: https://www.usajobs.gov/
- Utah Nonprofits Association Job Board: https://utahnonprofits.org/membership/job-board/all_ads?rootid=1
- Versatile PhD (alt-ac resource for grad students): https://versatilephd.com/about/
- Glen Canyon Institute: https://www.glencanyon.org/
- HEAL – Powering Action to Protect Utah: https://www.healutah.org/about/jobs/
- Natural History Museum of Utah: https://nhmu.utah.edu/
- Nearby Nature: http://www.nearbynature.org/
- Oregon League of Conservation Voters: http://www.olcv.org/
- Save our Canyons: https://saveourcanyons.org/
- Summit Land Conservancy: https://wesaveland.org/
- Torrey House Press: https://www.torreyhouse.org/
- Utah Dine Bikeyah: http://utahdinebikeyah.org/
- Utah Humanities: https://www.utahhumanities.org/
- Wasatch Community Gardens: https://wasatchgardens.org/